Roger Blamire, Senior Advisor to European Schoolnet, provides in a 9:01min video a clear introduction to what is commonly referred to as 21st Century Skills.
Roger defines Skills as expertise or the ability to do something well. On the other hand, Competences are a combination of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values that can be applied effectively to a particular domain.
The 8 EU Key Competences for lifelong learning are:
- Communication in the mother tongue
- Communication in foreign languages
- Mathematical competence and basic competences in science and technology
- Digital competences
- Learn to learn
- Social and civic competences
- Sense of initiative and entrepreneurship
- Cultural awareness and expression