I’ve recently discovered that Mahara ePortfolio v 1.6.3 didn’t display by default Google Drive Presentations embedded in pages. I had tested the Mahara external content plugin for Google Apps, and it worked flawlessly when I embedded Google Maps and Docs.
The exception came out when we tried to do the same ritual for embedding Google Drive Presentations. We followed the same procedure (make the presentation public, copy and paste the iframe code,..) but nothing appeared when it should be. After reviewing the configuration of the plugin administration looking for an unselect pluging and doing several attemps I started to think that it was a bug in version 1.6.3.
Finally, seeking in Mahara Manual Online I found out that we need to manually setup an entry to allow iframe tags from Google Drive. As soon I did it it worked as expected.
So these are the steps you must do to overcome this issue in your Mahara 1.6:
- Assuming you’re the admin of your Mahara installation, log in and go to Administration.
- Click on the tab Extensions.
- Click on Allowed Iframes Sources.
- You will see a list of preconfigured external sites from where is possible by default embed content using iframe tag. Check that Google Docs and Drive are not in the list.
- Scroll down untill you saw two textboxes, one for Site and the other for Display Name. Fill them out twice, one for Google Docs and the other for Drive:
- Display name: Google Docs Site: docs.google.com
- Display name: Google Drive Site: drive.google.com
- Don’t forget to click on Add and it’s done!
Now your Mahara users will be allowed to embed their presentations from Google Drive into their e-Portfolios. For sure they’ll have fun with it.
I hope it helps 😉